Home Page (1)

Forensic Anthropology:



     My name is Kylie. My career is Forensic anthropology. Forensic anthropology is the study of humankind and culture in all times and places. Forensic anthropology involves thorough knowledge of skeletal anatomy and biology, which is technically called osteology, to help identify cause of death and skeletal remains. This career because I love a good mystery and imagining the possible solutions to problems. I also like bones.




(Heavily damaged pelvis) 



How Forensic Anthropology Is Different Than The Show "Bones" : 

     Many peoples perception of Forensic Anthropologists are far fetched because of television. If you have ever watched the show "Bones", you may think ALL Forensic Anthropologists work in a lab identifying the cause of death or a different skeleton everyday. Once you do a little research you will see that this is not the case. Most people who have a degree in this area of study become college professors or work as a consultant for law firms or federal agencies.  






Basic Job Description

     Forensic anthropologists are responsible for recovering, examining and testing biological remains to determine if the skeletal remains are human or non-human and to identify skeletal remains. They also collect evidence relevant to injuries and cause or manner of death.  An essential duty for this job is keeping detailed written reports on the condition of the skeletal remains. From time to time, in this position you may have to provide a testimony in court referring to anthropology cases.


Education & Training

     Generally the Bachelor of Arts degree in aanthropology is needed for admittance into graduate school. This is where the Master's of Arts in anthropology is earned, followed by the Doctorate of Philosophy degree in aanthropology (PhD.). Occasionally, if one has a BA or BS in another field but the equivalent of a minor in aanthropology has been earned, admittance to a graduate program in aanthropology is possible. While there are some forensic anthropologists with the MA degree, most do have their PhD's.



Typical Pay Range  $39,905-$69,411 
Possible Bonuses  $393.05-$3052 
Total Pay  $39,923-$69,271


Companies & Industries

These are the top five industries and/or companies that forensic anthropologist work in.

  1. Law Enforcement
  2. Medical Research
  3. Government
  4. Government/ Public Law Offices
  5. Education (College/University) 

Key Statistics 

     Did you know, only 20% of Forensic Anthropologist are male? That means that the remaining 80% are female. That also means that females have a better chance of becoming a forensic anthropologist. The majority of forensic anthropologists only have 1-4 years of experience(38%).  



Less than 1 year  10% 
1-4 years  38% 
5-9 years  28% 
10-19 years  18% 
20+ years  6% 








Relation To STEM

     Forensic anthropology is related to STEM because you are required to take several science to obtain this position. You also have to use technology to create reports and keep an updated data system.



Major Tasks   

Forensic anthropologists consider one of their most important tasks to be a narrator for people who cannot tell stories of their death for themselves.

Tools & Technology  Microscopic technology is the main tool used in forensic anthropology. 
Skills & Abilities  You need a doctoral degree, skeletal knowledge, laboratory skills, time management, experience, and practice. 
Typical Work Activities  determine the sex, age, race, stature, weight and any pathology (disease) of unidentified skeletal remains. They also establish the cause of death, they must also,in the case of murder, be arranged to allow time for possible court appearances. 
How This Job Helps Others  This job gives grieving families the opportunity to have the murder pertaining to their family solved. 
Related Careers 

Physical Anthropologist

Cultural Anthropologist

Forensic Biologist 

Possible Schools 










More Schools